The Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) serves a key role in establishing the focus of the pastor, staff and congregation’s ministry. By advocating for the pastor and staff and helping to interpret their roles and ministries, the SPRC supports and nurtures the whole congregation. As outlined in The Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church, the SPRC is tasked with the following:
- Encourage, strengthen, nurture, support and respect the pastor and staff and their families, including advocating for a healthy work/life balance.
- Promote unity in the church.
- Confer with the staff on the effectiveness of ministry and impediments to effective.
- Confer with the staff about effective use of their gifts, skills, time and priorities.
- Conduct annual staff evaluations.
- Teach the congregation about itinerancy, steps into ordained ministry, the value of diversity in staffing, and the ministerial education fund.
- Write job descriptions for staff.
- Confer with the district superintendent abut the clergy leadership for the congregation.
- Recommend staff positions to the church council.
- Create written personnel policies and conduct policies for the congregation.
Warren Ginn, committee chair